ticket system comments

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri Jun 22 18:22:37 UTC 2007

Nils Breunese wrote:
> seth vidal wrote:

>>> If someone sends a request to that mailinglist, how do we make sure
>>> it gets handled (eventually)? If no one acts, what happens? Is there
>>> someone checking whether everything is either solved directly or made
>>> into a bugzilla entry?
>>
>> Is there any guarantee of this in the ticketing system we have now?
>>
>> no.
>
> That's true, but a ticket system will tell you what issues are still
> unhandled, whereas email does not.

Someone also brought up using a trac instance, it'd be lighter weight
then bugzilla and more customizable (for us).  It would be far more
light weight then OTRS but not as light weight as a mailing list.
Here's the pros and cons as I see them:

Mail-List - Cons:
    1) Spam
    2) Difficult to comment on existing threads if not subscribed
    3) Stuff that takes a long time to fix may get lost
    4) Difficult to know who's working on what
Mail-List - Pros:
    1) Very light weight
    2) Hard to completely ignore
    3) No registration required
    4) Almost no administrative overhead

Trac - Cons:
    1) Requires a FAS login
    2) Could just be ignored
    3) Little bit of initial configuration required
Trac - Pros
    1) Ticket ownership is known
    2) Easy to search / filter
    3) Provides milestones/components

I have to say in general I like Trac over a mailing list... but not by
much.  I'd be curious to see what the others say.  Any comments?

    -Mike