Alpha Core 3 is available

Oliver Falk oliver at linux-kernel.at
Fri Mar 9 10:07:32 UTC 2007

Am 2007-03-08 17:40, Dennis Gilmore schrieb:
> On Thursday 08 March 2007 10:34:59 am Oliver Falk wrote:
>> Am 2007-03-05 20:52, Oliver Falk schrieb:
>>> Sergey Tikhonov schrieb:
>> [ ... ]

>> Hm. They do? Great. However. When core is opened for everyone, I hope
>> that AC folks will join the community and get (write) access to glibc,
>> xorg, ... If all alpha-specific things get %ifarch-ed, it shouldn't
>> interfere with anything.
>>
>> To have all alpha specific patches in the fedora repository would be
>> great. Maybe RH/FI (Fedora Infrastructure) is able to add alpha-builders
>>   to their infrastructure!? That's why I added them CC: :-)
>>
>> At least from plague I know it's possible to add passive builders to the
>> list. This means *we* (people who own (spare) alpha machines)) can
>> install machines with plague or whatever it will be named then,
>> available to the FI team for building.
>>
>> I also guess it will not be too hard to add the idea of passive builders
>> to the new koji (if it hasn't been coded yet). And well. If something
>> doesn't build on alpha, it - of course - shouldn't break the 'normal'
>> cycle (i386, x86_64, ppc(?))...
>>
>> For me questionable points are: Do we also want extras? Or only core?
>> Will Red Hat support this idea? Will Fedora Board/Fedora Infrastructure
>> support this idea?
>>
>> Who votes? Maybe Fedora Board?
>>
> We Are planing on adding secondary Archs right now sparc and ia64 are planned

OK. Fine. At least there are plans for sec arches...

> alpha if there is a team to support the arch.

Voting myself for supporting it. However, I will - of course - not be
able to do this alone. Anyone else standing up? I have a few names in my
mind, but don't want to 'speak' 'em out, since those persons must have
enough spare time for doin' the job and of course must be willing to do
so...

 > that want to work with fedora.
> Secondary arches will get things built automatically when built for a primary
> arch.

ack.

 > Don't forget there is no longer a core/extras distinction.  only
> fedora.

For course, I know.

> Aurora currently has core and extras for SPARC.   the idea is already out
> there.  the second phase of koji will be adding secondary archs.

OK. So koji will support it sooner or later. I don't know how Aurora
does it. Are they in some way connected to the Fedora CVS/the buildsystem?

And another thing. Will package maintainers be aware of the second
arches? Do they also receive notification 'bout failed builds on alpha,
ia64, sparc? If they don't want to fix bugs on the secondary arches,
they should exclude the arch, so the secondary arch builders don't get
overloaded with packages that will not build...

my 2 or 3 cent :-)

-of