DHCP and our hosts

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Mon Mar 12 20:55:55 UTC 2007

At present our physical hosts use DHCP and our Xen guests do not.  I'd
like to do one or the other.  The only issue we have going completely
DHCP is that hosts like the proxy boxes require some aliased
interfaces[1] which isn't really a problem but it's a minor
inconvenience if someone is looking through the dhcpd.conf file for free
IP's.

Option 1:
Completely Static IP's, everywhere.  (Except for some network devices?)

Option 2:
Completely DHCP IP's, except for aliases or devices unable to use DHCP

Option 3:
Leave it as it is

Note: DHCP addresses are statically mapped, its not like bastion's IP
address will change regularly.

Honestly I don't care but I'd vote for Option 2 because it requires the
least amount of work / risk right now  Though if someone has a
compelling reason for Option 1 or 3, let me know.

    -Mike

[1] AFAIK DHCP cannot be done on aliased interfaces because it shares a
MAC with the physical interface.