Disk space requirements

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Sat Mar 24 05:07:05 UTC 2007

On Sat, Mar 24, 2007 at 12:36:20AM -0400, Matthew Galgoci wrote:
> > so we're already expecting mirrors to carry ~25GB per arch per release
> > or thereabouts.
> >
> > If we continue with 3 arches, 2 releases per year, that's at least 150GB
> > per year growth.  If we add arches, Unity respins, more CD/DVD objects,
> > and the like, it'll grow faster.
>
> That's why my eyes popped out of my eye sockets at fudcon. It's irrational
> and impractical to keep permuting the distribution. Also, when can previous
> releases be removed? That would be nice to know.

I'm in favor of creating an archive.fp.o server to hold the
"historical" releases (e.g. everything no longer supported, so real
soon now, FC5 and earlier) and nuke those from the master.  We could
decide to keep N-3 (e.g. one extra no-longer-supported release on the
master if we wanted to.

IANAL, but the GPL is satisfied as long as we post source for the same
time span as we post the binaries.  The "three year" clause
only kicks in if we don't distribute the source at the same time but
instead give a written offer - which we don't do.

--
Matt Domsch
Software Architect