mirrorlist

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Sun Mar 25 22:54:15 UTC 2007

Kostas Georgiou wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just noticed that the mirrorlist script returns the full mirror list
> if the mirrors for your country are below a certain limit. For example
> here is what happens with most european countries:
>
> # repo = core-6 country = GB arch = x86_64
> http://zeniv.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/6/x86_64/os/
> http://zeniiia.linux.org.uk/pub/distributions/fedora/linux/core/6/x86_64/os/
> http://www.mirrorservice.org/sites/download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/x86_64/os/
> # No results found for country: GB
> # Defaulting to global
> # repo = core-6 country = FI arch = x86_64
> ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/mirrors/ftp.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/x86_64/os/
> # No results found for country: FI
> # Defaulting to global
> # repo = core-6 country = NL arch = x86_64
> http://ftp.surfnet.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/fedora/6/x86_64/os/
> http://ftp.nluug.nl/ftp/pub/os/Linux/distr/fedora/6/x86_64/os/
> ftp://alviss.et.tudelft.nl/pub/fedora/core/6/x86_64/os/
> # No results found for country: NL
> # Defaulting to global
> # repo = core-6 country = NO arch = x86_64
> http://ftp.uninett.no/pub/linux/Fedora/core/6/x86_64/os/
> # No results found for country: NO
> # Defaulting to global
>
> As it is now only US,CA,FR,DE get a "local" mirror as far as I can see
>
> I was wondering if it makes more sense to use mirrors from "nearby" countries
> instead of the full list in cases like this. Defining "nearby" could be
> a problem but even the same continent is bound to be better than the existing
> system.
>
> Any thoughts?

This is intentional.  The issue is a low number of mirrors for some
countries.  If the returned list is less then a certain number (I think
its 4?) Then it will return the global list.  One thing I've meaning to
do is re-evaluate how we determine if a mirror is out of date.  We also
just need more mirrors IMO.  Matt Domsch has been working on a new
mirror management system which should help aid this process.

Matt, just curious, does your mirror app check for freshness?  Will it
completely replace our check-mirrors script?

    -Mike