Image standards

Thomas Chung tchung at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 22 23:29:57 UTC 2007

On 5/22/07, Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com> wrote:
> What I'm saying is that I haven't been able to find anything that claims
> there are any current patent problems with jpeg.  Which means that jpeg
> is as "patent-free" as png -- ie I can also not find anything which
> claims that there's any patent problems with png.
>
> Bringing up a patent that is both expired and ruled invalid by the
> patent office and saying that is a reason to avoid a format is just
> wrong-headed.  Should we not use SSL and GPG because they use algorithms
> which have expired patents?
>
> If you can point to any current claims that the format is patent
> encumbered then we have a reason to ban its use.  Otherwise you're just
> spreading fear of something that doesn't exist to prevent the use of a
> free format.
>
> -Toshio

Perhaps, it's time to ask someone who knows about the law.
Let's ask our Fedora Project Board and its lawyers for better answer.

Max, could you ask the board and its lawyers if JPEG is "patent-free"
format as PNG ?
Also which format is more appropriate to use our Fedora Project website?
We're trying to standardize image format used in Fedora Project cross-wide.
Regards,
--
Thomas Chung