wiki madness

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazqueznet at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 04:49:31 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 17:26 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> So ... I'm seeing the comments fly around that replacing Moin Moin is
> the solution to solving our Wiki woes.  For your consideration, I submit
> the following details.  Thus we can all possess the same set of facts to
> work from.  I'm not arguing for or against a tooling change.  I just
> don't want Fedora Documentation to end up in a worse position. :)

Absolutely. We still haven't decided on a plan of attack though; it's
probably best to wait until we've settled down after F8's release before
making any big plans.

As I see it, we have 3 options:

1) Continue to work with Moin
2) Migrate to another wiki
3) Roll our own TurboGears wiki

Option 1: Continue to work with Moin

Advantages:
- Existing code base
- Existing developer base
- No need to transcribe content

Disadvantages:
- Upstream seems uncooperative

Option 2: Migrate to another wiki

Advantages:
- Existing code base
- Existing developer base
- Current problems with Moin may not exist

Disadvantages:
- Content may need to be transcribed
- Workflow/process may differ
- Existing GSoC work may be useless

Unknowns:
- Attitude of upstream

Option 3: Roll our own TurboGears wiki

Advantages:
- We're in control (workflow, features, upstream, etc.)
- Integration with FAS is trivial

Disadvantages:
- Almost no current specifications
- Minimal existing code (based on requirements)
- Smaller developer base
- Content many need to be transcribed (based on requirements)
- GSoC work may need retooling (based on requirements)

If I've left anything out then please feel free to add.