wiki madness

Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams ivazqueznet at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 07:51:51 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-01 at 23:42 -0700, Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-11-02 at 00:49 -0400, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
>
> > Option 1: Continue to work with Moin

> > Disadvantages:
> > - Upstream seems uncooperative
>
> Sorry, I worded my email poorly; I meant to go back over that part and
> make sure I wasn't unintentionally maligning the Moin Moin project.

It's not what you wrote that led me to write that. Rather, it's a
general feeling I've been picking up on when inquiring about Moin's
specific problems.

> They're very cooperative, afaic, but they have resources with specific
> skills and interests.  Just because we want to shoe-horn in better
> DocBook support and man page editing features doesn't mean they *should*
> accept it.

My concern is that if they're unsympathetic regarding the minor changes
we need (e.g., ACLs), how are they going to react to the larger changes
we're going to come up with (e.g., user DB in a RDBMS)? If we're going
to have to fork Moin *anyways*, then why don't we start with a
specification appropriate for our needs in the first place?

> My point is that Fedora Project could find a way to step-up more with
> contributing to the Moin Project, as part of the method of getting our
> changes accepted (and knowing when and where to run beta versions, how
> to keep our one-off changes in sync with the tree, etc.)
>
> MediaWiki has Wikipedia as a main constituent user that drives some
> features, right?  Who does that for Moin?  Could that be
> fedoraproject.org/wiki?  Or are we really not that big of an
> install/userbase?

Fedora has one of if not the biggest Moin installations in existence.
And it's collapsing under our weight. I'm sure that Moin's developers
have their reasons for doing things the way that they do, and I respect
them for that, but if it's not working out for us then what are we
supposed to do?