Log analyzer improvements, ticket #226

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Nov 26 14:35:52 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-26 at 08:33 -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Michael Yingbull wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm following up from ticket #226, which is tracking improvements to the log
> > analyzer system.
> > This would be what analyzers the logs on lockbox, which is the syslog host
> > for infrastructure machines:
> > https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/226
> >
> > I wanted to capture what we wanted the new analyzer to do.
> > Main feedback I had from discussion in #fedora-admin was a need for more
> > signal, less noise:
> > the current 'analyzed' logs were too verbose and had too much cruft.
> >
> > Did I capture that requirement?
> >

> I think this is the biggest thing.  Obviously we don't want to /dev/null
> log lines but at the same time the current format is pretty useless to
> us.  I guess it might be best to do as much cleanup as possible and then
> see where things are.

Actually, there's a huge portion of what is in the current logs that
needs to either:
1. be dumped out by  epylog's weeder
2. be stopped from occurring on the system generating the message.

Michael, if you need any assistance with this, let me know, I have a
fair bit of experience adding weedlists to epylog.

-sv