hosting git conversion of Fedora CVS tree on fedora infrastructure?

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Thu Nov 29 17:26:54 UTC 2007

Jim Meyering wrote:
> seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 17:25 +0100, Jim Meyering wrote:
>>

>>> At 5GB+, (4.5GB for a copy of the cvs repo + 700MB for git) that's too
>>> heavy for me.  And besides, it'd really be better under the Fedora
>>> umbrella.  Seeing as how much more efficient the git protocol is,
>>> if a few people switch to it from cvs, it'd actually decrease network
>>> bandwidth requirements.
>>>
>> The problem is we're not running out of network bandwidth most of the
>> time. We're running out of disk space. Pretty badly, too.
>>

> One big advantage to switching from CVS to git is the savings in
> disk space.  With the example above it's pretty obvious: you can
> save exactly the same information using git in 1/6 to 1/4th the space.

Clearly you have tenacity and a desire to see change.  If I were you I'd
join the SCMSig:

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/SCMSig (some of us still
hang out in #fedora-scm)

Schedule and request a meeting, host that meeting and have your voice be
heard.  I, for one, would attend whatever meeting you schedule and many
others in the sig would as well.  Take a deep breath, send the email and
dive right in.  (I'm being totally serious here, I'll be disappointed if
I don't get a meeting request soon :-P

    -Mike