Php why must your apps suck so?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Wed Oct 24 15:39:48 UTC 2007

Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 11:22 +0200, Mirko Klinner wrote:
>> Hi friends of good infrastructure,
>>
>> 2007/10/23, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com>:
>>         Ok, so there's a ticket for a new news site,
>>         https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/178
>>
>>         Fact: PHP apps have a poor track record.
>>         Fact: There doesn't appear to be any viable Python CMS's
>>
>> After reading the requirements stated in the ticket I wonder if it
>> wouldn't be
>> the best idea to implement a little application like that in
>> TurboGears ?
>> I work with TurboGears on daily basis, so I guess it would take about
>> 4 weeks
>> to develop such a software, followed by another 8 weeks to test it and
>> bring it
>> to live.
>>
>> What do you think about that ?
>
> Not that I doubt your coding skills, but that would be another large set
> of unique code that Fedora Infrastructure would need to maintain.  By
> using an existing CMS system FI gains from the experiences of everyone
> else that runs the CMS we choose.  Plus by choosing an existing CMS we
> can spend those 4-8 weeks working on content and making a Fedora theme.

Not to mention there are python CMS's... including a TurboGears one.  We
could look into whether those are close to meeting our needs and propose
patches to upstream instead of completely reinventing the wheel.  These
are the ones I found yesterday that appear to be in a usable state and
active upstream:

http://www.pylucid.org/  -- DJango based
http://www.turtolcms.org/

http://www.pagodacms.org/ -- TurboGears based and has received a bit of
press but hasn't made a release yet.  Needs evaluation to see if it's
ready enough for our usage

Of course, if this were just an excuse for you to kick off your own
upstream project, that might work out okay as well :-)

-Toshio