Php why must your apps suck so?

Luke Macken lmacken at redhat.com
Wed Oct 24 17:11:40 UTC 2007

On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 08:39:48AM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Jeffrey C. Ollie wrote:
>> On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 11:22 +0200, Mirko Klinner wrote:
>>> Hi friends of good infrastructure,
>>>
>>> 2007/10/23, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com>:
>>>         Ok, so there's a ticket for a new news site,
>>>
>>> https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/178
>>>                 Fact: PHP apps have a poor track record.
>>>         Fact: There doesn't appear to be any viable Python CMS's
>>>
>>> After reading the requirements stated in the ticket I wonder if it
>>> wouldn't be
>>> the best idea to implement a little application like that in
>>> TurboGears ? I work with TurboGears on daily basis, so I guess it would
>>> take about
>>> 4 weeks
>>> to develop such a software, followed by another 8 weeks to test it and
>>> bring it
>>> to live.
>>> What do you think about that ?
>> Not that I doubt your coding skills, but that would be another large set
>> of unique code that Fedora Infrastructure would need to maintain.  By
>> using an existing CMS system FI gains from the experiences of everyone
>> else that runs the CMS we choose.  Plus by choosing an existing CMS we
>> can spend those 4-8 weeks working on content and making a Fedora theme.
> Not to mention there are python CMS's... including a TurboGears one.  We
> could look into whether those are close to meeting our needs and propose
> patches to upstream instead of completely reinventing the wheel.  These are
> the ones I found yesterday that appear to be in a usable state and active
> upstream:
>
> http://www.pylucid.org/  -- DJango based
> http://www.turtolcms.org/
>
> http://www.pagodacms.org/ -- TurboGears based and has received a bit of
> press but hasn't made a release yet.  Needs evaluation to see if it's ready
> enough for our usage

Wow.

I just finished watching the Pagoda screencast -- very impressive stuff.
I definitely recommend taking a look.  It's designed to drop right into
any existing TurboGears project.  It handles revision reviews,
publication schedules, powerful plugins, wiki-like features,
and all of the "web2.0" hotness you could ask for.

However, it's still very immature, and parts of the screencast were
actually mockups.. but it definitely has potential.

luke