Private builds in koji

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Sep 3 12:53:49 UTC 2007

On Fri, 31 Aug 2007 18:08:02 -0400
Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams <ivazqueznet at gmail.com> wrote:

<answers are non-authoritative, just my personal thoughts on the
subject>

> 1) Is it considered an acceptable use of resources to use koji to
> scratch-build private FOSS packages that will be hosted on
> fedorapeople.org?

Yes.

> 2) What about pointing people to the builds hosted within koji?

Somewhat.  Scratch builds do get recycled (or will be recycled in the
near future) so they should not be relied upon for long term storage.

> 3) What about building in koji but hosting elsewhere?

That's a bit more unreasonable.  In a pinch, I'm OK with it, but not as
a long term strategy for producing packages for said "elsewhere".

> I think it's safe to assume that building anything non-FOSS in koji is
> *completely* out of the question.

While we have no real way to prevent it, yes, I'd prefer that we just
didn't do it in our instance of Koji.  Thankfully you have to look
pretty hard to find information about scratch builds after they've been
done so the casual browser may not see it, but it wouldn't be good if
the active task list showed something like Oracle building, especially
as the srpm will wind up being freely available.  So unless the build
really means 'untar, move binaries into install location, wrap up in an
rpm' I would strongly advise against building anything in our koji that
you don't want the source to be seen.

--
Jesse Keating