CVS Outage Complete

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Apr 22 15:25:31 UTC 2008

> On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 15:05 -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> >
> > There will be an outage starting at 2008-04-19 18:00 UTC.  Initial
> > estimates show that 30 hours will be needed to complete the branching,
> > however this may drastically be reduced during the full run.
>
> Unfortunately this outage is still ongoing.  I failed to get a
> notification when the first leg finished around 2am my time and lost 6~
> hours to sleep.  All the PackageDB settings are done (barring a few
> failures) and we're well into the packages that start with "p" for
> making the branches within CVS.  I expect it to take another half a day
> or so to finish.
>
> Future Recommendation:
>   Enable methods of doing mass branching without incurring an outage.
> Make pkgdb be able to bypass mail sending, and make CVS be able to
> bypass mail sending for these operations.  Will take longer overall, but
> no outage.

The marathon outage is finally over.  This should be the last outage we
ever do for CVS branching.

One thing that has changed is you can no longer checkout fake branch
trees like "cvs co cvs/pkgs/F-7".  Those modules have been disabled due
to limited usefulness, frequent breakage, and rather time consuming
setup in the modules file.  Nor can you checkout a package branch only,
such as bash-F-7.  On the plus side it makes branching significantly
faster and new package creation significantly faster.

PackageDB will be enabled again in the next few minutes, and the ACL
script will run again too.  Please let us know if you experience any
difficulties or seem to be missing an F-9 branch.

--
Jesse Keating