app6 up

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Thu Apr 24 02:12:19 UTC 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 07:04:35PM -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Matt Domsch wrote:
> >so I'm a little late requesting permission, though I was on IRC during
> >the whole "ordeal" :-) so plenty of people had a chance to object.  I
> >brought up app6 as a xen guest on telia1.fp.o in Germany.  It's only
> >running MM's mirrorlist server right now, but all seems fine and
> >dandy.
> >
> That's excellent.  I wonder what the latency for requests is from
> app6.... (Could make some of the things that J5 is trying to do with
> myfedora even harder.)
>
> Of course, we don't have to run apps that myfedora consumes on app6 but
> it would be nice to not have to worry about physical geography when an
> emergency causes us to need to bring up other applications on a
> different app server.

For those of us in the US, yes, it's higher.  From Europe I suspect
it's faster for them than it is for us.

Typical responses when hitting app3 and app5 are in the 0.300-0.400s range.
When hitting app6 I'm seeing around 0.800s.

It's a shame mod_proxy_balancer doesn't grok geoip.  It'd be fun for
it to default North American users to our US app servers, .EU to
Telia, with the fallback to use any of the others that are alive...

Anyone up for some coding? :-)

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux