Fedora Services API

John (J5) Palmieri johnp at redhat.com
Sun Apr 27 17:14:09 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-26 at 10:38 -0700, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Hey guys,  I'm talking especially to the web app developers here, but I
> also hope that other people will chime in with useful thoughts.
>
> As part of python-fedora, I've started documenting some standards for
> Fedora Services.  These will go hand in hand with documents on how to
> use BaseClient that I am in the process of writing.  These documents
> will document how Fedora Services should be written rather than how they
> are currently implemented.  As such, I want to make sure everyone:
>
> 1) has a chance to review the document and make comments/changes before
> the changesare integrated into BaseClient and people have to port to
> things that are backwards incompatible.
>
> 2) can bring up other areas that need to be addressed.
>
> For instance, skvidal recently wrote a short client to the pkgdb that
> can generate email aliases for packages (so package at packages.fp.o could
> send mail to all the committers to a package).  He had the following
> comments to make:
>
> 1) It would be nice to have an introspection API to look at what methods
> are available on a TG app and how to use them.
>
> 2) JSON data that is deeply nested sucks because objects are turned into
> dictionaries so you have to write things like:
>
> package['listings']['F-8']['people']['toshio']['acls']['commit']['status']
>
> to get the status of a person's acls on a package.
>
> I'd like to get other people's input on how to work on these and any
> other issues before completing the next python-fedora so I can be sure
> that I've got most of the incompatibilities in.  Talking here and on IRC
> is welcome.
>
> Here's the current version of the Fedora Services Documentation.  What's
> there should be complete.  Addressing skvidal's concerns hasn't even
> been stubbed out yet::
>    http://tinyurl.com/52xmjw
>
> The BaseClient Documentation is still in heavy flux.  It's here::
>    http://tinyurl.com/4ww6v7

Nice, I need to fix up my stuff to use the BaseClient stuff.  Right now
I do it manually.  We need to do the same type of documentation for
writing widgets and come up with some standards for using JavaScript
(such as use JQuery) for AJAXy stuff.  I'll go over your docs in more
detail on Monday and comment.  What I would really like to see is this
not just be a doc but be an example site much like the API documentation
on the JQuery site.  For instance for BaseClient, have working examples
for each of the important API pieces which demonstrates how to use them
and what to expect as output.