fedorahosted git repo too large

Nigel Jones dev at nigelj.com
Wed Aug 6 08:37:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-05 at 23:44 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Yuan Yijun wrote:
> > I just tried to download revisor git with this command "git pull
> > http://git.fedorahosted.org/git/revisor master". I have to repeat
> > 4-5 times since it breaks during downloading. The .git folder is
> > about 58MB. After "git gc --aggressive" it becomes only 6MB.
> >
> > Anyone please run gc on server?
>
> Perhaps better would be repack.  There was a recent thread on the git
> list and one of the developers pointed out an older mail from Linus
> where he described gc --aggressive as "mostly dumb" and recommended
> that using something like "repack -a -d -f --depth=250 --window=250"
> instead.
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gcc.devel/94613
That's actually a very useful article and the methods/reasons behind it
sound quite sane and it could be a useful approach for us.

I'll try this out on one of the smaller repos (a copy of course) and see
what happens.

(n.b. I've added f-infrastructure-list to CC's, that's where everyone
that manages the hosted server reads :).)

- Nigel