securing FAS certs

Mark Wormgoor mark at wormgoor.com
Sat Aug 23 07:43:59 UTC 2008

Toshio Kuratomi schreef:
> Mike McGrath wrote:

>>> I might be wrong, but I think with such a card, encryption/signing takes
>>> place entirely on the card, and thus the secret key is never transferred
>>> anywhere off the card.
>>>

>> Ah, so the theory being that if someone happens to hit us, they're only
>> hitting us for as long as the machine is up / card is in.  And I assume
>> the card actually tracks serial numbers and things so we can revoke
>> anything that was signed in a questionable time?
>>
> That seems like it would work well.  Jesse's been having troubles
> obtaining the card he wants, though (and his is a gpg card, not for ssl
> certificates).

Most of these cards work with OpenSSL just fine - though I'm not sure
what additional hardware drivers are required to interface to the card.

All the card does is protect the private key from being obtained. When
someone has (root) access to the machine, he can use the key for signing
anyway. As such, an hsm should be connected only to a very secure
machine, not running any other services and with highly restricted
access. Connecting one to a Xen machine does not sound like a good idea :)

These keys are protected against hardware intrusion depending on their
security level and will zero out the keys upon hardware tampering.

Kind regards,

Mark