OpenSuSE Buildsystem

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 18:12:17 UTC 2008

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 10:48:48AM -0600, Mike McGrath wrote:
> I've been talking with some of the SuSE guys and we agree there's some
> overlap or at least coordination between their buildsystem and ours.  The
> first obvious low hanging fruit is common macros.  For those who wonder
> "why would we help OpenSuSE?"  the answer is common goals, and better user
> experiences.
>
> The problem is time and coordination.  So on a whim I thought I'd send
> this email out.  Do we have any contributors out there who are both
> members of Fedora and SuSE who would be willing to lead this charge, find
> similarities and places for coordination?

The best places for Fedora and openSUSE to collaborate are in the
upstream communities where we can have the best effect on the free
software community.  That means rpm.org, smolts.org, GNOME,
freedesktop.org, KDE, and so on.  There's fertile ground there for
plenty of technical development, and I feel that's the place where
Fedora should be putting resources.