We've got problems

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Dec 18 21:42:25 UTC 2008

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 03:31:18PM -0600, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 3:06 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Whats the hangup?  HNP is our ACL plugin.  Some might remember when we
> > said "A wiki is not a CMS" well, now we're being screwed by it.  It has
> > been made clear to us that certain pages in the wiki must A) stay on the
> > wiki and B) be editable by only a subset of people.  HNP is not supported
> > by newer versions of mediawiki.
>
> Why do the pages have to stay on "THE" wiki.  Why not set up a 2nd
> wiki instance for the sensitive pages and set up inter-wiki links so
> that linking isn't cumbersome.

Thanks, yes, that's one viable solution.  It might be a nice, fast way
to go.  But it's really just a bandage (more below.)

Another bandage Nigel and I just discussed is scripting a pull from
non-ACL'd draft pages in the regular wiki (Legal, Packaging, etc.) and
push to fedoraproject.org/Legal, docs.fp.o/packaging-guide.  This is
an uglier bandage with more custom coding, I reckon.

Why not use a wiki like this as a long term solution?  It comes to
content management.  There is a small subset of all the content we
maintain that needs:

* Version control and rollback

* Automatic publish/unpublish by rules (dates, packages released,
  etc.)

* Workflow to ensure quality before moving live (writer <=> editor =>
  publish)

* Nice tool to add users to fine-grained groups to have roles in
  managing their content without accidentally stepping on other
  people's content

* Nice web-based wysiwyg editor

Just the last one is a nicety, the rest are really a must for this
special content.  More here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/CMS_solution_for_Fedora_Project_websites

- Karsten
http://quaid.fedorapeople.org