Puppet Talk on FUDCon

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Fri Dec 26 12:19:38 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm planning a Puppet (Config. Mgmt.) BarCamp session on FUDCon in
Boston, but right now I'm thinking we may as well attach a HackFest
session or two to see if we can implement some of the stuff that puppet
does but the Fedora Infrastructure doesn't use (yet), or otherwise
improve the puppet infrastructure we use.

It should be a fairly interesting set of sessions since the Fedora
Infrastructure team has been working with puppet for quite a while now,
as have I but in many different organizations.

This has driven me to come up with puppetmanaged.org[1], a collection of
puppet modules primarily focused on Red Hat- and Fedora- based systems,
and a way to share those modules amongst a larger audience. I guess
we'll be talking about using those modules as well, or improving them so
that they meet the requirements of Fedora Infrastructure, or applying
them to Fedora's puppet infra, maybe.

Additionally, the modules on puppetmanaged.org are based around a 3-way
staging model, that allows you to distinguish between development,
testing and production environments, as well as set a "standard" for
overriding and/or extending the modules with customized manifests, and
storing configurations in a database (exported resources for those of
you familiar with them).

With that functionality, the puppetmaster on puppetmanaged.org now
manages nodes in different organizations -with, of course, very
different profiles, needs and expectations-, allows "satellite"
puppetmasters to be deployed in an organization (satellite puppetmasters
themselves are managed by master.puppetmanaged.org but manage
*.organization.tld nodes). My experience with puppet has also allowed me
to organize workshops for customers, create a good reader[2] in the
process, and (co-)maintaining the entire puppet/ruby stack in Fedora and
EPEL.

Needless to say, development paths of Fedora Infra's puppet and
puppetmanaged.org have never aligned and as such -at FUDCon- I think
we've got the opportunity to review each other setup and see what it is
we can use/learn.

If you have any questions, remarks or ideas to talk about during FUDCon
-whether you can make it or not-, I'd like to hear about them.

I'll hopefully see those of you attending FUDCon!

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip

[1] http://git.puppetmanaged.org/