TurboGears-1.0.4/SQLAlchemy-0.4 upgrade

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 02:27:48 UTC 2008

Hello TurboGears application developers,

We would like to upgrade the version of Turbogears and SQLAlchemy
present on the Fedora Infrastructure app servers in the near future.

There are a few details that make this an update that I would like to
have people test heavily but overall it should be an easy upgrade for
most people.  Details:

TurboGears 1.0.4 is an update that retains TG-1.0.x compatibility.  We
don't anticipate any problems with this portion.

SQLAlchemy 0.4 is an incompatible update to SA-0.3.x.  TurboGears-1.0.4
includes changes to allow us to use it with minimal porting.  Most
Fedora Web apps are using SQLObject so they shouldn't be affected by
this update.  python-fedora's tgfas, pkgdb, and smolt use SQLAlchemy.
loupgaroublond has already ported smolt so porting tgfas and pkgdb
should be all that is needed to enable this.  I'll be testing ports of
both of those this week.

If anyone has another web app that should be accounted for by this
update, please *holler loudly*.

The two issues I anticipate:
1) FC6 is EOL but app3 is still FC6.  I've had success using EPEL-5
packages on FC6/app3 for a few packages in the past but this could be a
bit more involved as TurboGears has a lot of dependencies.  Unless we
can plan on obsoleting app3 before we upgrade we'll need to do some
testing on publictest1 as well as publictest10 to be sure that the TG
package and dependencies work on FC6.

2) Because python-fedora has to be ported to the new SA API I also want
to update the code to use the latest TurboGears conventions.  This will
allow us to simplify the TG-Auth code quite a bit (I'll be able to get
rid of about half of our code in favor of code that's carried in TG
proper).  However, there is the risk that some of the bugs that we fixed
when creating our code will be reintroduced because of this.  I'm
thinking especially about the session bug where people would hit the
login page and then not be logged in or hit the logout page but not be
logged out.  Since that bug was hard to reproduce reliably, I'll need
other people to help test this.

I'm getting the new python-fedora working on publictest10 right now and
will be installing and testing the new stack on publictest1 soon
(probably tomorrow.)  I'll send a note for people to beat on it while I
port over the packagedb.

-Toshio