Mailman List Policy for Fedora Hosted

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Feb 19 21:03:26 UTC 2008

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008, Jon Stanley wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2008 10:45 AM, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:
>
> > 4) What should the policy on archives be? My proposal:
> >
> > A) All lists must have public archives.  The exception would be the
> > default "mailman" list.
>
> Agreed on everything (with Mike's caveats) except for this.  There
> *will* be exceptions to this rule.  An example that I'm on is
> fedora-freemedia-list - we don't want folks home addresses showing up
> to anyone that cares to look at the archives.
>
> freemedia is a closed list with private archives, because of the
> personal information to be found there.  fedora-board-list is another
> one, and I'm sure there's more, dealing with security for example.
> There needs to be a method of exception to the rule.
>
> +1 for the general idea, though - there should be *good* reason to get
> an exception that requires approval from Someone In Charge(TM)

Hmm, unfortunately I don't think hosted is the right solution for those
people.  We even offer direct rsync access to all of the projects, I had
assumed we'd be doing the same for mail archives.  We don't allow any
private data in hosted currently, not sure that we should for the mailing
lists either.

	-Mike