Mailman List Policy for Fedora Hosted

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Tue Feb 19 21:26:56 UTC 2008

On Feb 19, 2008 4:09 PM, Jeffrey Ollie <jeff at ocjtech.us> wrote:

> Yeah, I would think that a mailing list wouldn't be the best tool for
> the free media project anyway.  I would think that some sort of
> bug/issue tracking system where bugs/issues could be marked as
> "private" would be best - that would make it easier to make sure that
> media requests get handled and don't get lost.

Hmm, excellent idea.  We already have a method of putting users in bz
groups via FAS/xmlrpc magic, and this is actually the best idea I've
seen for handling this.  Copying Thomas on this.  Here's what I think
the workflow would be:

1)  Create new product in bz called Fedora Freemedia.  Restrict entry
in this product to members of freemedia_contrib or whatever.
2)  Have the freemedia form, instead of sending mail, file bugs
against that product, making them private to freemedia_contrib using
the python-bugzilla interface.
3)  When someone accepts the request, they ASSIGN the bugs to themselves.
4)  When the request is completed, the person closes the bug.

It's step 4 that we can't track with our current system.  I, for
example, was several days delayed in getting stuff out the door from
accepting requests this month.  That could be easily seen and somehow
exported to our tracking page.

I've got some reporting scripts for bz in general since I'm the Triage
Dude(TM).  They could be easily be modified to do whatever.

As for the original post, I wasn't thinking that we were just talking
about hosted here.  I thought that we were eventually (not as part of
this phase obviously) migrate existing lists from RH mailman to
Hosted.