I am having a peculiar problem

Cyber Bob cyberbob24 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 7 21:13:25 UTC 2008

Hi,

I am an user of Fedora Core since 2003, and I've used versions 1.0 and 6.0.
Though I've used both versions for quite some time now, I would still like
to consider myself to be a novice, since Linux is still like a mysterious
lady to me :).

I am facing three peculiar problems with FC6 in two systems:

1. I own an Intel D865GBF based PC running an Intel 2.8 GHz processor with
512 MB MB (dual channel) DDR RAM. It houses two Seagate Baracuda 80 GB HDDs.
FC6 was installed in a dual boot environment with WinXP, FC6 was installed
in three primary partitions in the second HDD. Now the problem was that,
whenever I tried to boot into FC6, system hanged at the "loading udev" line.
I traced the source of this problem to be kernel-xen; since the problem
vanished as soon as I unchecked the "Virtualisation" segment in all of the
fresh installations post problem. I observed that it installed only "kernel"
and not "kernel-xen". Can anyone please tell me whether my observations are
correct or not, and whether there exists any solution to the problem with
"kernel-xen" ?

2. I own a Lenovo 3000 Y500 notebook with 512 MB DDR RAM and 120 GB HDD. FC6
is installed in a dual boot environment with Win Vista that came preloaded.
As soon as I update kernel, from the next boot onwards, the updated
kernel is unable to detect the laptop keyboard whereas the default kernel
works fine. The problem persisted even after updating hal, cups,
seliux-policy targeted and  xorg-x11. Am I doing something wrong ? The same
setup seems to work fine in my PC.

3. Even after installing the latest JDK and JRE, the latest version of
OpenOffice.org components fails to start even after giving a "installation
success". I didn't installed the following bundled products: OpenOffice,
Java, Java runtime, eclipse, firefox and thunderbird. I installed the latest
releases of the above mentioned softwares from their respective sites. Any
solutions ?

Please give me a reply as soon as possible. I am eager to become a part of
the FC6 Developers team, but before doing so I need to upgrade myself from
novice status. For now, I would like to observe things and explore the way
things work here. Wish me luck.

Wishing you all a very happy prosperous new year, regards,

Cyberbob (A)