puppet and git

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Mon Jul 7 14:20:40 UTC 2008

Mike McGrath wrote:
> Sooooo.  We've been doing puppet wrong.  Not really wrong but there's a
> better way now using modules.
>
> more info: http://reductivelabs.com/trac/puppet/wiki/PuppetModules
>
> Long story short, I (and probably kanarip if I can sucker  him into it :)
> will start converting some stuff that we've got to the more module format.
> Some benefits:
>
>  * Easier to share with others
>  * Much better organization / easier to find stuff
>  * The standard actually involves writing a README file per module.  Thats
>    a good thing and can help explain some things better.
>
> Before we go making a bunch of changes I'm going to make sure to keep
> everyone in the loop with whats going on.  One thing I did want to discuss
> is that puppet does have some native support for git now and people are
> using it.  I have to say I'm on the fence about it.  Fedora as an
> organization is moving more to git, the websites team already uses it.
>
> What are the thoughts on this list?

The GIT support isn't actually native (and neither is the support for
any other of the SCM's), and I haven't been able to clone the git module
for a couple of months now. Another GIT module (in the works) is at:

http://git.puppetmanaged.org/?p=modules/git/.git;a=summary

(and I hope you like it). There's other more Fedora specific modules as
well (like a better puppet module then the one listed on puppet's wiki,
or so I'd like to think) because it manages more of puppet, and allows
$domain's to override what the module ships (in files and manifests).

I'd like to work on the puppet configuration for Fedora Project as well
(but you know that), as soon as I get back from my holiday.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip