Infrastructure Secondary Offerings

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Mon Jun 9 15:59:10 UTC 2008

So one of the things that has made Fedora's Infrastructure successful is
the amount of time we spend getting configs together and tested _before_
we go live with them.  Often times re-doing things from scratch multiple
times.

This works well in our shared app environment.  They're in puppet, the
people involved understand it.  This is a very high barrier but in our
case, it's completely worth it.

However.... We do, regularly, have people request hosting from us for
various open source projects.  Some people just want a place to host
something.  I'd think these individuals would support these hosts
outside of Fedora's normal realm.  So question 1)

Should Fedora get in the business of providing (probably xen guests) to
other projects?

I'd love to say yes, but there are many concerns in terms of IP space,
security, security, liability, and security.

Comment, please.

	-Mike