Mailman list for triage - special requirements

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Thu Mar 6 21:28:21 UTC 2008

Bill Nottingham said the following on 03/06/2008 11:54 AM Pacific Time:
> Jon Stanley (jonstanley at gmail.com) said:
>> John Poelstra and I were just thinking about a mailing list for
>> watching incoming bugs.  Unfortunately, I don't know that there's the
>> right combination of checkboxes in Bugzilla to just get mail about new
>> bugs.  However, filtering based on mail header could get that - every
>> new bugmail that Bugzilla sends has a header of
>>
>> The question is whether or not mailman is capable of filtering based
>> on arbitrary header values.  Note that this question doesn't mean
>> we'll actually do this, we're still mulling over whether or not it's
>> actually a good idea at all (and input on that front is welcomed
>> too!).  However, we want to know if it's technically possible or how
>> much effort would be needed to accommodate the request.
>
> Why is this better than a RSS feed or similar?
>
> Bill

Mostly different work styles and how you approach your "work".  A lot of
people work from email as a task list. I tend to approach a lot of tasks
in "batches" where I collect work items, address them, and cross them
off a list.  If the folder is empty I know I am up to date.  I would
agree an RSS reader could fill the same function.

This is different than opening a web browser and manually querying
bugzilla to locate "work items".... push vs. pull information flow.

John