Metalink support

Bram Neijt bneijt at gmail.com
Sat Mar 15 16:06:48 UTC 2008

Oh, no, everything would be running on your own servers. You probably
thought there would be an outside server involved because of the word
"spider". I would just write some code, somebody with the right rights
would have to run it.

With spider, I meant a script that would parse the HTML from the
mirrormanager, so the mirrormanager wouldn't need a patch. Everything
would of course run on your servers.

So the idea is:
I write a script that uses a mirrorlist (which it gets from parsing
the HTML, or in some other way) to generate .metalink files for all
the .iso files on the mirror. The metalinks would just be placed on
the mirror next to the .iso files.

Because the script would not have to do anything computational
intensive (SHA1 sums have already been calculated) it could be run at
any time you guys feel like it.

As I said above, I'd be happy to create the script, but somebody would
have to say they would be willing to run it. I'm only asking: if I
post the code, would anybody be able use it?

Bram