Metalink support

Bram Neijt bneijt at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 15:55:35 UTC 2008

Yes it sounds like a nice idea and adding the chunk checksums is nice,
but I doubt anybody on this list would like those checksums to be
calculated on any of the infrastructure machines at fedora. And
although I could easily run a service that would generate metalinks
for you guys, I doubt anybody would like to incorporate it in the
official site.

Because the SHA1 is already known on the mirror, the updates of
metalinks can be done very quickly (a script would just do some text
parsing and posting) and it would allow it to easily create metalinks
and even keep them up to date (say weekly?).

Another option is to patch MM, but I think you should also include the
SHA1 so that would mean you would have to place file metadata in the
database. If you are going to do that, it might be easier to run
Bouncer and use the already existing patch for that.

Simply put: would a solution which runs outside of MM be acceptable?

Bram