Hosting Linux Fest Northwest Videos on torrent

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Sat May 3 13:14:59 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 02, 2008 at 08:53:06PM -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Thu, 1 May 2008, Jesse Keating wrote:
>
> > A team of folks took videos of various talks at Linux Fest Northwest.
> > They want to offer direct downloads as an alternative to the flash based
> > streams available at ustream.tv.  I have tentatively offered (with
> > stated caveat that Infrastructure had to approve) hosting space on the/a
> > torrent server for these videos.
> >
> > I don't yet have an estimate on the total size, but there are 12~
> > videos, all somewhere around an hour in length.  It may be a while yet
> > before they're all re-encoded into our preferred format (.ogg) but I
> > wanted to get the ball rolling here.
> >
> > Is this something Fedora (Infrastructure) would be willing to provide?
>
> So the question is does Fedora offer hosting space for linux conventions
> and things not directly related to Fedora?  I'd be curious to hear what
> others say.

In general, I would love it if we could.  I don't believe we have the
resources in place today to be able to do so effectively.

In my mind, we need:
1) additional people in the infrastructure team to help with the admin
   side of this.

1a) there's a need for existing infrastructure team members to serve
    as sponsors/mentors.  I'm sorry I haven't had the time to do more
    of this lately.

2) an assessment of the real compute/storage/bandwidth needs for this
   idea.  We're notoriously bad at estimating the amount of storage a
   given idea will actually need in production.

3) significant donations (cash, equipment, hosting, ...) to realize
   these needs.

Mike and the team have been effective in securing donations from a
number of companies lately [1], with more in the works.  Kudos!  And
if we were talking about hosting a gig of files for direct download by
a few hundred people, we could probably manage within the scope of
these sponsorships.  But if we want to be as aggressive as some of the
early fedoratv.com plans were, we'll need some pretty serious additional
sponsorships.

[1] http://fedoraproject.org/sponsors

--
Matt Domsch