Disk Space Issues - cvs-int/build hosts - (includes general note on Nagios Disk notifications)

Nigel Jones dev at nigelj.com
Tue May 13 12:39:03 UTC 2008

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 23:55 +1200, Nigel Jones wrote:
>
>> Anyway, what this means, is that when nagios has been complaining about
>> cvs-int recently, in particular the fact that /git has reached WARNING.
>> After a bit of hunting around, I found /repo/pkgs using 168GiB of the
>> 192GiB available, which is understandable, Fedora has got huge.
>>
>> Problem here, is that there are a LOT of old tarballs in that folder,
>> which leaves me wondering if we should do a spring clean ~1 mo after
>> release.
>>

> We can't do this.  We need to keep the tarballs for packages which were
> released (in any form, be it rawhide, an update, or the actual release
> -- and probably even updates-testing) for 3 years to comply with the
> terms of the GPL.
>
> Not to mention that removing them would break any ability to go back and
> try to bisect or find the source of a problem in an automated fashion.
> And yes, I've actually had to go back to ancient history to do so in the
> past with some packages :-/

We were just discussing this on #fedora-admin, the other alternative
would be (as I mentioned) move them to some sort of publically available
archive storage setup, with the Makefile pointing towards that instead
of where we normally point.

Anyway, I'm just trying to kick the ball about, I'm sure there is a
miracle solution but imo at the very least it'd be somewhat nice to
unladen cvs-int of some of the burden.

- Nigel