Change Request Koji

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Wed Nov 12 19:26:51 UTC 2008

On Wednesday 12 November 2008 12:39:38 pm Mike McGrath wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Nov 2008, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> > inside of phx  all machines are using koji2 for koji.fp.o  koji2 is the
> > new 32 bit guest.  which is working fine except that it has 2gb ram.
> > currently it is seeing a higher load than id like.
> >
> >  17:54:50 up 5 days, 22:11,  3 users,  load average: 8.69, 6.68, 5.06
> >
> >              total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
> > Mem:       2097328    2042660      54668          0       3868     704116
> > -/+ buffers/cache:    1334676     762652
> > Swap:      2096472     255224    1841248
> >
> > its not heavily swapping but swapping enough.  id like to change phx to
> > point at koji1  when they are all back over to koji1  ill then take koji2
> > down allocate it 4gb ram  koji1 has 8gb ram (and is 64 bit) then point
> > everything inside phx back at koji2
> >
> > koji1 has not been rebuilt yet as we are still waiting on load balancing
> > to be setup.  kojihub on koji1 is used only by people submitting builds.
> > kojiweb and the builders are using koji2 as its hub.
> >

> > this change should have no visible user impact,  but will lower the load
> > on koji2.
>
> This one's tricky, whats the harm if we don't do it?  Also whats the worst
> impact this could have on the release?
Right now koji is sluggish,  if we do nothing it continues to remain sluggish
and may hold up composes waiting for a build to finish.  It could potentially
use more ram than is available on xen2 and cause it to oom and bring down xen2
and its guests.   xen2 has 3gb available so we should be ok.

The first part of the change request will put things back to how they always
were.  everything on koji1.  the second part will help koji2 perform better,
i had meant to make the change before feature freeze and it crept up on me.
when koji1 is rebuilt I plan to give it 4gb ram also.

Dennis