Request for test data based off of obfuscated live data

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 20:51:23 UTC 2008

John Palmieri wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> On IRC the other day there was a discussion where I had requested the ability to use live data stripped of all personal identification and data, for creating a test bed for development of MyFedora.  It was asked I write up a reason for needing this data as it was hard to explain in detail on IRC.
>
> Current Development
>
> First lets go over my current development process.  Right now I work on live data.  Since most of my code involves reading data this isn't an issue except for perhaps putting a load on the servers when testing. This however becomes less ideal as I need to test code that modifies data, such as pushing a build.  Even more daunting is if I need to add functionality to one of the other apps, creating data that would somewhat reflect the real word is time consuming and often a blocker which has me move to something else.
>
> Why I need the data
>
> So why is it important to have real world data - or at least a semblance of it?  Working on something that will consolidate a lot of the data into one interface, I hit a vast majority of our infrastructure while treating it as one entity.  If each piece of infrastructure lived in isolation, it wouldn't be as big of an issue but as it stands the data has keys which link each record in one piece of infrastructure to a record in another.  For instance Fas usernames link to builds in Koji who's build numbers link to releases in Bodhi.  I need data with those links intact so I can follow the workflow from one tool to another, test access rights and simulate the progression of various data through the pieces of infrastructure without worrying about stomping on the data because I can quickly restore it to its initial state.  Also, I can't hit every edge case, I need to concentrate on how the data most commonly flows and having something that resembles what we see on the production
>  ervers is key there.
>
> What I am asking for
>
> As stated above, I would like a data set representing the data one would see in our infrastructure.  Ideally this would mean a secure process that would dump data from koji, bodhi, fas and pkgdb while obfuscating all personally identifying data.  This could include switching package owners and uids at random so as not to be able to trace the data back (though in reality one could gather this data slowly by querying each of the infrastructure pieces). I only need a relatively small sampling of say a months worth of data and a semi random drawing of the most active contributors and their packages.  I can update dates to keep the data "current" for testing purposes.  Every once in awhile I would need a fresh sampling to make sure the code didn't just work with my sample set.
>
> Why pure random data isn't sufficient

> [...]
Getting koji data munged and transferred may be a problem as it is just
so darn big.  If we don't have to make changes to the data in koji, just
get it distributed, then we could give access to a backup... but that's
still a lot of information to transfer.

pkgdb, fas, and bodhi are relatively small.

fas is where we'd have our major security problems.  We can't give the
information out unmunged.  I've munged it before, though, so it's
doable.  How strict we need to be is an issue, though.  If we remove all
the identifying information in the people table except for the userid,
is that sufficient?  *Note: We probably also need to munge data in the
configs table.

pkgdb and bodhi don't have information that is privacy policy sensitive.
 (Which doesn't mean that some users won't like it... just that I think
we're covered.)

-Toshio