Removal of old projects from fedorahosted.

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Sep 9 21:05:39 UTC 2008

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Ian Weller wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 03:35:41PM -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> > This is one of the things we're hoping to prevent with fedorahosted.  The
> > hope is that the fedorahosted brand will be known for good, active
> > projects.  Not vaporware.
> >
> > We'll certainly be contacting the project members and let them
> > know whats up giving them the option to grab the raw source tree (already
> > available via rsync) and the trac install.
> >
> > In general from the infrastructure side I'd say we want to keep the
> > barrier to enter low but the quality high.  Certainly there's projects
> > that don't need to be updated every 6 months but we can identify those and
> > deal accordingly.
> >
> None of this seems to agree with the open source philosophy. From what I
> understand, one should always be able to access code, whether dead,
> buggy, or release candidate, or whatever. I understand the idea of
> keeping a code center clean and newish, but I think it would turn away
> more projects than dead codebases would.

Let me know when you get archives.fedorahosted.org up, I'll make sure to
send all this unused code your way ;-)

We're not trying to be the end all hosting for everyone.  If that turns
people away, there are plenty of alternatives.  We're looking for people
who have active and interesting projects.

	-Mike