app2 disk space

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Sun Sep 21 05:35:59 UTC 2008

On Sat, 20 Sep 2008, Ricky Zhou wrote:

> On 2008-09-20 05:41:22 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> > Do we have standard kickstarts for systems or are they done by hand?
> Yup, we pretty much do a kickstart install, edit /etc/hosts and other
> networking configs, then run puppet to build a box.  Our SOP for doing
> all of this is publicly available at
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/SOP/kickstart.
>
> > How are systems provisioned to be built?
> I'm not completely sure what this means - I guess we just look for xen
> hosts with available resources and build there.

In our case we have hosts all over the place so it can be different from
host to host but the SOP/kickstart mostly handles both virtual guests (the
bulk of our kickstarting)  as well as the physical hosts.  We've got a pxe
environment in PHX.

> > Do we use cobbler? Would we be interested in doing so?
> I don't think we are now, and I have no idea what kind of interest there
> is in using it.

Yeah, we don't use cobbler yet.  Mostly because of time and need.  I'd
like to support that project and use it no doubt.  But in our case we have
very few kickstart files and they're all incredibly basic.  As ricky said
they do the base install, check to see if any special hosts entries are
needed.  Then yum update, then yum install puppet, reboot.

            -Mike