rpm-4.6.x & friends for RHEL5 (was: hosts for rawhide build chroots - different rpm versions?)

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Tue Apr 14 17:37:31 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 11:53:09AM -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Sunday 22 March 2009 05:02:41 am Axel Thimm wrote:
> > AFAIK the build hosts are RHEL5 (or maybe F10 by now?). At any rate
> > the rpm used in rawhide is quite different than the ones from the
> > hosts, how has this been solved in the build hosts? Has the hosting OS
> > upgraded its rpm to be compatible to all hosted chroots? Or is the rpm
> > within the chroot used?
> >
> > I'm asking in a double context: First I'd like to understand if smart
> > can properly handle chroots of rawhide/F11 on F10/RHEL5 hosts. Anders
> > Björklund (in the Cc, please keep him there on replies) has put a
> > great deal of effort to have smart working on F10 and F11, and a smart
> > version for managing F11 and later chroots on F10 or earlier would be
> > great.
> >
> > And second I'd like to know how to setup a build environment for F11
> > for getting some ATrpms packages out.
>

> we are running a version of rpm 4.6.0 on rhel5.  This is only so mock can
> populate chroots with rpms with stronger hashes rhel5's rpm doesnt support.
> All srpm creation now takes place in chroots so features of the target rpm are
> always available.
>
> rpm in F-10 updates is compatible with the new rpm features. but rpm from F-9
> and RHEL4 and 5 can not handle the new rpm at all. you cannot make chroots on
> them with rawhide rpms.
>

> you could use koji on F-10/rawhide  or F-9/RHEL5 by replacing the hosts rpm to
> build your packages.

Thanks for the explanation, Dennis. Can I get these tailored rpm rpms
from somewhere? I just tried rebuilding rpm from rawhide on RHEL5 and
the dependencies look endless.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net