Ok. Looks like this one _may_ fulfill our calendering needs. Testing required.

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Wed Aug 19 17:46:08 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-30 at 09:22 +0530, susmit shannigrahi wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 3:19 PM, David JM Emmett<me at davidjmemmett.co.uk> wrote:
> > Okays,
> >
> > As I'm relatively new to this list, I don't really have access to much -
> > so I'll just fire away...
> >
> > 1) When is F12 deadline - how does this coincide with it?
>
> Nothing really. But it is a loose deadline marked by an event.
>
> > 2) Where are the requirements?
> > 3) You said "I have started to put down the test cases." - I say, "where
> > are they" ;)
>
> Not actually test cases, but these are the things we need to examine
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Herlo/Fedora_Calendar_Project_Desired_Features_(Draft)#Must_have

This seems to have changed since the last time I was around this
discussion - it doesn't mention CalDAV at all, and specifies 'handheld
clients'. My use case (and that of others interested) has nothing to do
with handheld devices, I just want the calendar to sync with Evolution
on my desktop because that's how I like to deal with my calendar, not
through a web front end.

Anyhow, WebCalendars sync capabilities appear to have a rather
significant limitation:

http://www.k5n.us/wiki/index.php?title=Remote_Publishing_with_Apple_iCal

"Please see notes at the bottom of this page for limitations with this
approach. If you choose to use Apple iCal to add/edit events in
WebCalendar, then you should always use Apple iCal and never WebCalendar
directory to create, edit or delete events."

And it only talks about iCal, doesn't even mention other potential
client applications, which suggests they don't support those at all...

there's also little wrinkly bits like 'You may find that deleting an
event in Apple iCal will NOT delete the event on WebCalendar. Why does
this happen? Partly because we're just using iCal (rather than a
calendar sharing protocol like CalDAV). If this happens, you can go to
WebCalendar and delete the event there (after deleting it in Apple
iCal).'

They do write about possibly supporting CalDAV in future.

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey