Calendaring system?

Clint Savage herlo1 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 01:51:03 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 5, 2009 at 3:01 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-02-05 at 21:53 +0000, Simon Birtwistle wrote:
>> There are a few Calendar modules for Zikula (the CMS I'm setting up to run
>> docs.fp.o) that might suit your needs - worth considering in the longer term
>> should the CMS prove to be a success?
>
> I'll take a look, thanks for the pointer. The needs for us are, I think,
> pretty simple. It needs to work as a simple calendaring system - you can
> just use it as a calendar, nothing more, nothing less, if you don't want
> anything else - into which you can do all the usual calendar stuff,
> schedule events. The only other significant requirement for me is that
> it support CalDAV, because it's important to allow people to access it
> through other clients and calendar systems so that it doesn't become yet
> another damn thing they have to look at separately. I would be accessing
> the calendar from Evolution, for e.g., along with my personal calendar
> and other shared calendars I have going.
> --
> adamw

Adam,

Funny thing, I was just mentioning how it would be nice to have a
calendaring solution that would be able to let people pull feeds and
put items on the calendar for Fedora with use in FAS.  I think even
though there's currently no solution quite as good as google calendar
(or apple's iCal) in free software, there are alternatives.

Bongo Project - http://bongo-project.org/Main_Page  (formerly Hula) (GPLv2)
Bedework - http://www.bedework.org/bedework/ (BSD License)
DAViCal - http://rscds.sourceforge.net/ (GPL)

I'm sure there are others, but I think a self-sustaining calendar that
could integrate with the Fedora Account System (FAS) and make it so
that people can create events that could get pushed to a central
calendar which others might subscribe.  Something like this would be
awesome and I'd be happy to help you get it started.  Maybe one of the
above programs can meet our needs, or maybe we need to look into
something else.

Cheers,

Clint