FAS Plugins and planet feeds

Nicu Buculei nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro
Mon Feb 16 09:06:37 UTC 2009

Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
>> Maybe we can allow a default for the user (perhaps a gravatar?[1]), then
>> allow per-feed overrides.
>>
> Sounds like a good plan.
>
>> [1] http://www.gravatar.com/
>>
> Not sure.  The gravatar service is not free software.  But we're not
> hosting it.  And it can be used as simply hosting for an image.  If we
> make the user format the URL that gets entered rather than the plugin
> choosing things like size, creating the hash, etc, then I think we're
> definitely okay.  Making use of those other services I'm not so sure about.

-1 for gravatar, I am for encouraging people to use a consistent style
for planet hackergotchis (size, shadow style, background color) and
using whatever everyone has at gravatar will certainly not fit, they
provide JPEGs, whith no transparent background (so is not a wise idea to
upload an existing hackergotchi to gravatar.com, it will be poorly
flatened).

I find useful the ability to override the image on a per-feed basis even
if we default to associate the image with the user (which will work for
the huge majority of the users).