Disk IO issues

Sascha Thomas Spreitzer sascha at spreitzer.name
Thu Jan 1 00:11:39 UTC 2009

If its related to the FS driver ( inode table or algorithms ) the
program "slabtop" might give an indication of the kernel processes
eating system performance.
Slabtop is in the ps-tools suite, should be on any major linux distribution.

2009/1/1 Greg Swift <gregswift at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 17:35, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:

>> > 1. Are we sure the array hasn't lost a drive?
>>
>> I can't physically look at the drive (they're a couple hundred miles away)
>> but we've seen no reports of it (via the drac anyway).  I'll have to get
>> the raid software on there to be for sure.  I'd think a degraded raid
>> array would affect both direct block access and file level access.
>>
>> > 2. What's your scheduler set to?  CFQ tends to not work in many
>> > applications
>> > where the deadline scheduler works better...
>> >

>> I'd tried other schedulers earlier but they didn't seem to make much of a
>> difference.  Even still, I'll get dealine setup and take a look.
>>
>> At least we've got the dd and cat problem figured out.  Now to figure out
>> why there's such a discrepancy between file level reads and block level
>> reads.  Anyone else have an array of this type and size to run those tests
>> on?  I'd be curious to see what others are getting.
>
> we are working on a rhel3 to 5 migration at my job.  We have 2 primary
> filesystems.  one is large database files and the other is lots of small
> documents.  As we were testing backup software for rhel5 we noticed a 60%
> decrease in speed moving from rhel3 to rhel5 with the same file system, but
> only on the document filesystem, the db file system was perfectly snappy.
>
> After a lot of troubleshooting it was deemed to be related to the dir_index
> btree hash.  The path was to long before there was a difference in the names
> of the files, making the index incredibly slow.  Removing dir_index
> recovered a bit of the difference, but didn't resolve the issue.  A quick
> rename of one of the base directories recovered almost the entire 60%.
>
> Thought I'd at least throw it out there, although I'm not sure that it is
> the exact issue, it doesn't hurt to have it floating in the background.
>
> -greg/xaeth

Mit freundlichen Grüßen, / with kind regards,
Sascha Thomas Spreitzer
http://spreitzer.name/