Disk IO issues

Ramez Hanna rhanna at informatiq.org
Sun Jan 4 20:42:29 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 4, 2009 at 7:59 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 3 Jan 2009, Matt Domsch wrote:

> say)?
> the
> > >
> > > For an NFS server (assuming that you aren't exporting as async)
> > > data=journal can give you better performance than anything else
> > > actually. The NFS howto has a brief note in the performance section
> > > about this.
> >
> > Yes, if the slowness is seen by applications on the client side of the
> > NFS server, data=journal on the NFS server can help.
> >
> > Mike, your tests were all on the local file system, not across an NFS
> > connection, right?
> >

> Correct, though (obviously) we're seeing the slownees remotely as well.
>
>        -Mike

Hi,

I've had no previous experience with such issues but here are my 2 cents
IMHO if the slowness is seen locally as well as remotely then i would start
thinking about filesystem options, or even consider a different filesystem.
I think that you need to eliminate first the HW issues (raid, disk speed,
etc) then look more into fs specific options wich were discussed in several
previous emails