Why puppet uses config instead of configs?

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Mon Jan 19 11:44:36 UTC 2009

susmit shannigrahi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In puppet when we add a new file, we use this lines in the .pp files:
>
>         source => 'puppet:///config/web/applications/FreeMedia-error.html',
>
> where as the actual location of the file (FreeMedia-error.html) is
>
> [susmit at puppet1 puppet]$ find -name FreeMedia-error.html
> ./configs/web/applications/FreeMedia-error.html
>
> So the source in the .pp file should be
> 'puppet:///configs/web/applications/FreeMedia-error.html'
>
> Why this discrepancy? Just curious...

The [config] fileserver mount may point to /path/to/configs/, which
would allow this discrepancy to exist.

If you are going to change anything, maybe consider using [files] vs.
/path/to/files/ since that "name" for the "mount" appears to be most
commonly used.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip