Automating hosted projects?

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Jan 27 21:29:41 UTC 2009

On Tue, 27 Jan 2009, Mike wrote:

> I can confirm that google-code is automated.  I have one project hosted there.
>
> do you think a "happy medium" would work?
> set it up for "instant access" to "owner" but review by Fedora Infrastructure is required
> before read only and/or read write repositories are opened?

I think it's time to chime in on this.  I'm generally 100% for self
service but in this case I like the way we have it now.  Especially until
a reaping policy can be put in place that people won't flip their lids
about.

As far as I'm concerned, Fedora Hosted is not a place for fly by night
vaporware and I think having this manual process prevents it a bit.
Having to create a ticket, having to respond when we ask questions, etc,
shows they have at least the commitment to create the project and wait for
it.  Does it have its downsides?  Yes, you have to wait a little bit.
But this is supposed to be a high quality hosting setup, the cost is a bit
of time.

Additionally I like the personal touch of having to interact with someone
to actually get this done.  To me it feels more like a partnership, there
actually is someone on the other end of this stuff, its not just some
large souless machine.  If they've got problems they know exactly where to
go.

-1 from me unless someone can give me a clear benefit from the views of
Fedora, (and no, making stuff up doesn't count, do research, draw a
conclusion, send your proposition to the list)

	-Mike