Suggestions required for generating Ambassadors map.

susmit shannigrahi thinklinux.ssh at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 17:34:50 UTC 2009

Hi,

Taking forward the previous work of automating the ambassadors list, I
just committed a new scrip[1] into fama trac.

This will extract the location data from the fas and generate a text
(or whatever) file, which can be used to generate
ambassadors map.

A proof of concept map using google map (I know its not free and can
not be used for our purpose) is here. [2]
Warning: This may take a bit time to render.

The problem being, which mapping software should we use?

1. Google map - non free.
2. Shomyu - Bochecha (the creator) does not seem to like the idea of
using this for the particular purpose.
3. OSM - Does not have a nice api for creating a standalone map.

I am out of my ideas about the mapping app, please suggest.

Thanks.

[1] https://fedorahosted.org/fama/browser/membership-map.py
[2] http://susmit.fedorapeople.org/ambassadors/ambasadors_map_concept/ambassadors_map.html

--