Any DBA's in the house?

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Jun 16 01:11:51 UTC 2009

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 14:56:42 -0500,
  Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:

> Is it better to have:
>
> id | smallString1 | smallString2 | smallString3 | largerString1
>
> or put the largerString1 in it's own table?  largerString1 I'm
> specifically thinking about is for http://bugzilla.redhat.com/503550

That is going to depend somewhat on usage patterns, and probably also
the storage type you are using. If you don't use largerString1 most of
the time, you can keep the hot part of your table more compact which
will result in faster reading and a better chance of what you need being
in the file system cache.
There may be a way to have largerString1 look like it is stored in line,
but actually have it in a separate area. Postgres has a feature called
toast tables. I don't know if any of the MySQL storage backends provide
something similar.