fedora-git-commit-mail-hook: Fix command for finding previous tag

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Tue Jun 23 18:09:20 UTC 2009

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> That sounds sensible.  I have no problem with us changing, although
> I won't have the time to sit down and make it happen any time in the
> next couple of weeks.  If someone can get to it before, I'm more
> than happy to look over it.

I'm happy to work on this.  I mostly wanted to check that the idea was
agreeable first.  I'll try not to come up with too many suggestions
that cause other people work -- other than the work of reading my long
emails... :)

I an ideal world, we would use the upstream post-receive-email
unmodified.  I'm not sure if that will be possible or not, as we'd
want to pipe mail to the send-unicode-email.py script, rather than
just through sendmail.

A patch to the upstream script to allow setting the path to 'sendmail'
might be in order.  And at the least, a simple puppet exec could fix
that one part and leave us otherwise using the upstream hook.

My biggest concern is that the format of the notifications has changed
a good bit since the current fedora-git-commit-mail-hook was added.

An example of what our installed hook produces:

    https://fedorahosted.org/pipermail/spacewalk-commits/2009-June/001536.html

An example of what the upstream post-receive-email hook produces:

    http://sourceware.org/ml/glibc-cvs/2009-q2/msg00403.html

The upstream hook should produce more useful results for various
operations, adding tags, branches, and such.  But as with any change,
some people are bound to not like it.  (I admit that I'm not all that
fond of the output for the simple case of pushing a new commit, as the
summary is added after the diff.)

Unfortunately, while the change I made yesterday to the current hook
fixed some of the problems the spacewalk.git repo has, it didn't fix
them all.  So I'll be spending a little more time with that to see if
I can locate the remaining issues.  It might be an opportunity to
enable the new post-receive hook for the reporter and see if that
output is better.

BTW, Jeremy, do you happen to recall just what the origin of the
current script is?  I was trying to find a common ancestor that I
could use to cherry-pick patches from git.git into.

Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday.
    -- Don Marquis