fedora-git-commit-mail-hook: Fix command for finding previous tag

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Jun 23 21:01:24 UTC 2009

On Tuesday, June 23 2009, Todd Zullinger said:
> Jeremy Katz wrote:
> > That sounds sensible.  I have no problem with us changing, although
> > I won't have the time to sit down and make it happen any time in the
> > next couple of weeks.  If someone can get to it before, I'm more
> > than happy to look over it.
>
> I'm happy to work on this.  I mostly wanted to check that the idea was
> agreeable first.  I'll try not to come up with too many suggestions
> that cause other people work -- other than the work of reading my long
> emails... :)

Awesome.  Reading and replying to emails is what I do best at this point
;)

> I an ideal world, we would use the upstream post-receive-email
> unmodified.  I'm not sure if that will be possible or not, as we'd
> want to pipe mail to the send-unicode-email.py script, rather than
> just through sendmail.
>
> A patch to the upstream script to allow setting the path to 'sendmail'
> might be in order.  And at the least, a simple puppet exec could fix
> that one part and leave us otherwise using the upstream hook.

That sounds sensible

> My biggest concern is that the format of the notifications has changed
> a good bit since the current fedora-git-commit-mail-hook was added.
[snip]
> The upstream hook should produce more useful results for various
> operations, adding tags, branches, and such.  But as with any change,
> some people are bound to not like it.  (I admit that I'm not all that
> fond of the output for the simple case of pushing a new commit, as the
> summary is added after the diff.)

Hmmm, most of the changes I think are harmless aside from people getting
thrown off the first time.  I do agree that the summary being at the
bottom is a little bit more bothersome than most of the changes.  Also,
it looks like we'd lose the X-Git-Module header which is sort of
important for at least some people.

> BTW, Jeremy, do you happen to recall just what the origin of the
> current script is?  I was trying to find a common ancestor that I
> could use to cherry-pick patches from git.git into.

The current script was originally running on git.freedesktop.org and
written by Carl Worth, then hijacked and tweaked more than I would have
liked by me to fit our needs

Jeremy