Improving QA test result submission and organization

James Laska jlaska at redhat.com
Tue Mar 3 18:45:12 UTC 2009

Greetings,

As you may know, the Fedora QA plans and tracks test execution against
Fedora milestones using the wiki.  While the wiki has proven quite
valuable for content-driven test documentation (e.g. test plans and test
cases), recording test results has it's drawbacks.

First, in our current implementation, it relies on careful mediawiki
table edits.  The table edits are too easy to mess up and aren't
tremendously inviting to new contributors.
      * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA:Fedora_11_Alpha_Install_Test_Results
      * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Test_Days/2009-02-19
      * https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/QA/Test_Days/2009-02-12

Second, the wiki-based implementation lacks ability to sort, query and
organize test results.  We can use categories for organizing plans and
cases, but this mechanism isn't suitable for results.

As a long-term solution, we'd be looking to a web application.  However,
in the short term (now to F12) with limited resources, we're interested
in what off-the-shelf components we can use to help provide a better QA
assessment.

One solution that fits nicely with the current mediawiki setup is the
semantic extension to mediawiki.  The laptop.org testers are using this
currently and were kind enough to share their findings
(https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2009-February/msg00756.html).  One important note from the laptop.org folks was that enabling the semantic mediawiki extension could introduce a performance impact to the wiki.

I'm in the process of setting up a private mediawiki+semantic instance
as a proof of concept.  But a few questions for the infrastructure
team ...

      * I'm curious if others in fedora-infrastructure@ have experience
        with the semantic extension?
      * Is there a defined process for reviewing mediawiki extensions
        for the fedoraproject wiki?
      * Should the semantic performance impact be significant, is
        hosting a separate Fedora QA mediawiki (with semantic enabled) a
        possibility?

Thanks,
James

 James Laska         -- jlaska at redhat.com