Password resets

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Wed Mar 11 18:09:14 UTC 2009

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009, Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:

> Mike McGrath wrote:
> > I think we shouldn't go too far out of our way for people that can't
> > follow directions.  Harsh?  Yes, but what we asked of people was
> > incredibly trivial.  I'd be fine with asking people to log in but I'd
> > think we'll find lots of people find that confusing.  Logging in and
> > setting your password is a task that has a clear begining and end.  I can
> > see people logging in expecting to see further directions and then asking
> > "now what"?
> >

> Why tell them at all? If you change it to 'activity shown on account' (which,
> IMNSHO, is

NSHO?  who are you?

> the proper way)... the only reason for having people login will be immediately
> obvious via
> a properly worded email (ie., "Due to inactivity on your FAS account, your
> account will be
> terminated in 1 month, unless the following steps are taken...").

The only common point of entry for all of our services is the account
system and people rarely use it without being asked to so we'll still have
to do some emailing.

> > We've just got so much else to do I'd hate to spend a lot of time and
> > effort to please a few people that can't spend less then a minute a year
> > (15 seconds every 2 months) to log in and type their password a couple of
> > times and the people that complained couldn't do that.
> >

> Many fail to realize that the same password they used before could be used
> again.
> Hence the complaints.

Ehh, no.  Almost no one has complained that they actually had to change
their password to something else.  And you can be damn sure I'll spell
that out explicitly in the next email so everyone gets it.

	-Mike